Tuesday, September 15, 2009

the culture of power

I believe the culture of power is an issue we should always be discussing about because it seems like society is just burying and covering up each day. The culture of power it is a game of the majority rule but I think as minority we are able to change that by pushing ourselves to the limits and entering that world. I think by far is our fault we are the one giving power to the majority. We are letting them win each time by not raising our hands higher, by not educating ourselves, and by not applying for the front desk or manager positing because we think we are not capable or we are too self-conscious to think we are not good enough or “pretty enough” by standard. Segregation by law is over but it seems we are still segregating ourselves by not integrating with other cultures or by not wanting to learn about other culture background. I think we analyzed enough the issue that white male is in power and blah blah blah, so lets stop looking at the problem so much and lets start resolving by taking ourselves out of our own circle and merge into other people circles.

As a black Latin coming from different ethnic background and please let me say this I hate labeling myself as a color or as background I just want to people to know my name is dara and I’m cool person. I notice when I first talk to people and they hear my accent the first thing i see on their facial expression is them figuring out what category they are trying to put me under so they can know how to approach or treat me. Heloooo, I am not a product or an alien!!! I am a Human Being!!

No comments:

Post a Comment